Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Cool people

You know how God just seems to put you where you need to be whether you want to be there or not?! A year ago, I got pregnant, quit my job and drove my oldest and I to FL to be with my husband. Since then I've been a stay at home mom and now that we are finally used to where we live, its time for Mamma to make some money! I never thought I'd be a stay at home mom, and I actually liked it but now with the economy the way it is, well we need the money. The military doesn't pay that good, contrary to what everyone thinks.

With this said, I've been applying for jobs and gone on a couple of interviews. I'm not looking to make my next big move or anything just something steady to bring in some income and give me some stability as far as hours for my children and sanity's sake since my husband's schedule is pretty unpredictable at times. But if with this new opportunity to work, anything new is exciting and certainly welcomed.

My first interview was at a spa. I met with the owner who also owns a beauty school in the area. It was kind of interviewing for 2 positions at once. This lady had a lot on her plate and struck me as a bit of a disorganized over achiever. You know like someone who wants to do a lot, accomplishes these things but does all of them halfway? It was almost as if nothing she really put effort into flourished because she didn't pay it 100% attention to the task at hand. Either way one of the positions was a no go. This lady had an employee that was less than desirable to work with and for $10 an hour, I wasn't about to put up with that. The next position was for an admin position at her school as well as her personal assistant in running the school while she handled other endeavors. The latter, was interesting and caught my attention but for $10 an hour that was a lot of responsibility and not a lot of pay.

I don't want to seem like I'm asking for a lot but when the going rate for daycare is $200 a week for my soon to be 11 month old....I need to make more than just $10 an hour to make ends meet. Did I mention, the $200 a week doesn't even count before/after school care for my oldest. You know what I'm saying?!? :-)

Ok so for today's interview and cool people update! I interviewed at a small gym today. Its up and coming and it struck me as interesting because its tailored to the customer. The gym is not all that lavish & grand like your regular chain, but here you have a face with a name. A smiling face at that. The people that work there, want to be there! The first guy I met with should have been the spokes model for like a large muscle chain or something! The guy was HUGE, I mean ARNOLD huge! Some people find that intimidating, me? Not so much, the bigger they are the harder they fall right? So I smiled and knocked that bad boy's interview with my quick wit, smile & charm! Oh yea I'm that good! The owner, is a lady who has been through it all. She went from being top dog in sales in the fitness industry to being done wrong by some big wigs...not once but twice! Even after that, she still hasn't given up on the business and is now doing it on her own. With this said, the position I was looking into is pretty much all commission and well after I expressed my NEED for some kind of hourly wage she sympathized and invited me back to see how they worked and well I'll be back on Friday.

Now....here I am. Stuck in thought. What do I do? Do I give this a go? It's such an amazing opportunity and she's trying to teach me all she knows but can't pay me hourly? Kind of?

I just thought that the two interviews I've been on are with powerful women. They have their businesses and are doing it! Inspiring. Some women better than others but, hey we can't all be Oprah Winfrey.

Today would have been a perfect day to have a 30 minute Jackie workout or some devotional time, but it didn't workout that way. I feel good telling you all about it, now I'll be watching a movie with the hubby who is for once awake!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment