Sunday, January 16, 2011

The Duty Day Blues

For you non-military friends this may seem weird but my fellow military wives & significant others know what I'm talking about. First lets clarify what 'duty day' is, for us Navy folk, duty day is when our sailor has to report for work at oh dark thirty and doesn't get home until the end of the next workday, unless its a weekend and they come home the next morning (pending nothing has gone wrong and they need to stay). So with that said, today was our duty day.

I took the kids to church as usual and well, didn't feel like coming home so we had a family duty day. We reported on the ship with nothing other than FOOD! Oh how that's like music to any sailor's ear who is forced to eat from the galley (GAG!!!). Their chicken cordon bleu isn't bad at all though, I will say that! We ate and hung out with our sailor until it was time for 'watch.' (Watch usually involved standing outside armed and making rounds or standing the quarterdeck.)

So every duty day seems like it comes too soon. Every 6 days is the usual, but during special occasions like stand down or any other reason they can go on duty every 3 days. So we rarely get to see our loved ones when this goes down. Hence the honey do list piling up and well, me being a bit irritable. Its like being a single parent all over again and sometimes you just need someone to back you up but for the love of God & country, they can't.

As I left my hubby today, he goes, 'thanks for the food,' gives me a kiss and then says, 'at least you didn't get a kiss through the fence!' Again, my military wives know that kiss. You know when the gate is closed and you come to take your hubby the late night food or Starbucks (for my high-maintenance husband) and you have to pass the goods through the very top of the fence and then have the ultimate prison like kiss through the fence. I guess its the little things that matter. We got to spend some time on cell block 99 today.

No comments:

Post a Comment