Monday, January 17, 2011

Momentum

Anybody who plays sports competitively (and what other way is there to play?) knows the importance of momentum. Take the woman's college basketball team who broke the record for number of games won consecutively. They were a top notch, disciplined, talented team...but so are all the other teams. The difference is momentum. Playing a team that has so many win behind them is intimidating, and the opponents maybe don't really believe that they can win. The difference in the technical skills of the top tier athletes and the ones who are just really, really good may be very small. The difference is that the top tier athletes have momentum that makes them believe that they can win, and their opponents believe them too.
So there is something to be said for just getting out and doing it-like it or not. I have always been a person who likes to get out of the house a lot. I started going to the gym 9 weeks post baby, mostly because I just couldn't stand to stare at these walls another day. On the weekends, I find no value in relaxing all day when there is stuff going on outside. The last few weeks my daughters and I have felt like shut-ins, and everyday that we stay home the less I have wanted to get out. I started to dread going to the gym, the grocery store, and even tennis (which is one of my only baby free times, so I NEVER don't want to go!) I guess it has been a combination of a few illnesses, a little cold weather, and just exhaustion. My new normal was to stay home, and my momentum went from working out everyday to lay on the couch during naptimes. This weekend my husband was home so we did a lot of shopping, I ran a few times, and we took a few walks with the girls. This week, the plan is to make my momentum work for me instead of against me. Day 1 plan-don't let all of this rain ruin my day. :-) Have a good week everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment